Labels

event (128) How to get there (11) travels (91)

Friday 10 May 2013

Go Look at The Kran Song

Sawadii pii mai! 
ความสุขวันสงกรานต์
Happy new Year (Merry Songkran!)
well belated anyway....


Some may have noticed my interest in Thailand
and Thai culture...
but up til recently, that did not include the Songkran festival

After all, what's the big deal about people throwing water?

now, If this was Holi, that would be worth covering

I however am a believer that nothing happens by coincidence...
and it so happened that my work schedule opened up for a little window
for me to arrive just in time for the peak of Songkran...

I decided to avoid the hectic and visitor filled Bangkok and Hadyaai...
I ended up in a little cowboy town at the border of Thailand and Malaysia...
one of those places that I've been before so I was sure not to get lost...
I did not know what to expect...
and now that I reflect back... I still don't know...


One of the things I understood was that
Songkran was a big deal mainly because 
Thai's are known for their love of sanuuk (or fun)
Hence the wildness associated with the celebration of the Thai new year.


So splashing from left, right, up and down was expected.
And the water rained down in all forms
be it little buckets to big barrels,

hoses

 to water guns...
 
and came in all forms,

from pedestrians, to flatbeds, to motorcyclists...

even businesses took the opportunity to take part in the fun




They even managed to pull in a boat
(in case of flooding?!? :o)


 no matter who they were,
 they all had one thing in common.. they were wet...

and no measure of protection could change that fact...
yet they came prepared...
some believed that offense was the best defence
some tried to achieve both at the same time 
(the watergun was so cute.. it even had kamen rider on it)
They came at you not only with water.. 
or more chillingly, ice water...

they also came with powder mixed in water...

and while you're at it, why not add some colour to it...

I'm pretty sure it isn't part of their original traditions 
but after being greeted with a smile

and a smear on the face....

I can see how it came about...
The mixture is surprisingly cooling...

and why not since it is suppose to 
mark the end of the hot season

What I enjoyed most was not so much the celebrating...
but the humanity....
in the midst of the water and noise,
the fun loving individuals came out to play,
the considerate shone through without compromising the festivities
(These were the friendly few who pour the water in the traditional manner
as oppose to wet whatever in sight manner most are accustomed to...)


and then there are the responsible few
who took time to even clear traffic so other could continue enjoying themselves

and steps were taken to ensure everyone enjoys the festivities safely

At the end of it all,...
after taking a step back to reminiscence...
I can see the fascination in the celebrations
and would not mind experiencing more of it...
perhaps in Isaan as my friend suggested...


enjoy the rest of the photos... (click to see the full size)
perhaps it may encourage you to join in next year!

so in the words of Bill and Ted,
"Party on, Dudes!"
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Other BolehBokeh moments

Related Posts with Thumbnails