Labels

event (128) How to get there (11) travels (91)

Wednesday 22 August 2018

999 thousand bottles of beer on the wall

I've had these drafts half done waiting to be posted in a long while... I have like 20 waiting to be completed. Sorry for the delays.








I have not visited Thailand since last year but Wat Lan Khuat was one of my best memories of the many trips around the country.




Most people only think of Bangkok, or Had Yai or the islands when they think of Thailand.
I on the other hand is drawn to the weird. While planning my trip to Issan, I knew I would be in Si Saket, and had come across Wat Lan Khuat.




Wat Lan Khuat, also known as Wat Pa Maha Chedi Kaew or The Temple of a Million Bottles, is a contemporary Buddhist temple in Khun Han. As the name states, it is a temple made or more aptly decorated with bottles.




Yup. That's right. And famously known for its green bottles. Mainly Heinekein I guess. But if you looked closer, it was any bottle they could get their hands on.
  



And as it is with many temples I've visited, it was still a work in progress. I am guessing that even now, work is being continuously carried out on the temple.
 

The most beautifully completed portion was the main temple next to the pond.
It was probably the one that was the first from the 1980's. 

The colours and repetitive patterns were mesmerizing. You could tell that it was a labout of love.
 

This being a temple of course housed a few Buddha statues. And if you are thinking of going, please remember to be mindful of your actions and dress appropriately.
 

Unlike the tourist locations in Bangkok, I was the solo tourist there. In fact I barely caught sight of monks or even workers while I wandered the grounds undisturbed.

Not only the temples are adorned with bottles but even the washrooms are decorated with bottles.

Not to put anything to waste, they even utilised the bottle caps in the deco.



This was definitely a different place to be. Especially for those who are sick and tired of same o same o Thai temples. Definitely in my top 3 with the White temple and Preah Vihear.

And like most of the places I enjoyed, it isn't easy to get to (especially with all the Thai signs) but totally worth it.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Other BolehBokeh moments

Related Posts with Thumbnails