Labels

event (128) How to get there (11) travels (91)

Friday 24 August 2018

Preah Vihear: Step into the Danger Zone

Travels can be weird and exciting. 
One moment you're visiting a temple of bottles, next you're stepping into a battle zone.That was the initial plan anyway.

As it is with life, travels are unexpected and takes you to places you've never been.

In a bid to save cost and time, the plan was to make the trip to Wat Lan Khuat and Preah Vihear in the same afternoon. 


Unfortunately fate was not on my side.
When traveling, one should be aware of the time.
For some reason my phone's time was automatically set to Thai time while I was thinking there was still an hours difference. 
This resulted in arriving at the entrance just as the border was closing.

And yes you read that right. Border...

Preah Vihear  is a highly disputed land between Thai and Cambodia.
The dispute lies in the maps drawn by the French and updated maps.

Highly disputed could be considered an understatement as the Thai and Cambodian military have clashed and fought over the land. At that point of time, the forest reserve was wholely Cambodia's while access to the temple was from the Thai side.


Due to the fighting, access to the temple was closed from the Thai side.
Pity as I had gone all that way to find out that I was late... AND I was unable to enter anyway. Of course it took a lot of duck and chicken talk with the Thai military to finally get their gist.

This setback made me more determined to make it there.
Even though it is easier from the Thai side, the challenge would make the success taste ever the more sweeter.
    

A mere few months later I was on the more tedious, strenuous and expensive route coming from Siem Reap... not that I minded that much since Siem Reap had a peaceful vibe for me.

The trip could also have been done from Phnom Penh but the roads are less developed
Either way, both routes are wanting...

From Siem Reap, I found the bus from the bus station which is really quite far... 
they claim 6 km from the town centre.  
This station was different than the one arriving from Thailand. 
 Other than the sign board it looked nothing like a bus station.
 
there was not one single station
but different shops for bus companies

all located along a long dirt road

Seeing the locals load a motorbike on to the bus reminded me I was really in foreign lands.

There was no direct bus to my intended destination.
I had to ride the bus for about 3 hours, then get off at a small town.
(I think it was called O'Smach) 


it was basically a dirt road with two rows of buildings.
I was even shocked to see the kids running around without clothes.

Somehow managed to get a shared taxi going to Sra Em
they were quoting higher than I had read up but still within budget.

Waited til the driver got 2 more ladies with their groceries to board.

Finally reached Sra Em by late evening. Just enough time to get a room for the night. A quick shower, a warm meal and a good night's rest.

Pity I cannot find any photos of the small crossroad town and the night market.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Other BolehBokeh moments

Related Posts with Thumbnails